Isaiah 56

Isaiah 56:7-8 (ESV)
these I will bring to my holy mountain,
and make them joyful in my house of prayer;
their burnt offerings and their sacrifices
will be accepted on my altar;
for my house shall be called a house of prayer
for all peoples.”
The Lord GOD,
 who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares,
“I will gather yet others to him
besides those already gathered.”

Isaiah 56 is a chapter of promise and warning. To those whom the people of God would call unacceptable, God says, “You are welcome and I will bless you.” His “house will be called a house of prayer for all peoples.” The unacceptable, the poor, the maimed, the undesirable, are all welcome. By contrast, he says of the spiritual and political leaders of God’s people, “But they are shepherds who have no understanding; they have all turned to their own way, each to his own gain, one and all” (Is 56:11 ESV).

This chapter raises so many questions that we need to put to ourselves regularly. Let me pose two. First, how do we treat the unacceptable people of our day? How do we view those of another color, another profession, another generation, another culture? How do we view those with different priorities than ours? How do we view the drunks, the crooks, the angry, the hopeless, and the unemployed? Do we understand that God’s invitation is to them as much as to anyone? Do we understand that God does not expect people to become like us in order to be acceptable?

That brings me to the second question. What do we value? Over thirty years ago Francis Schaeffer warned that we would give up everything for the illusion of personal peace and affluence. Have we made personal peace and affluence the test of God’s blessing? If so, we have missed the point of what God is doing in this world. Nowhere did Jesus promise personal peace and affluence if we would follow him. He promised opposition. He promised persecution. He promised rejection. Yet Western believers have somehow concluded that personal peace and affluence are the test of God’s blessing.

What do you value? It is our own search for personal peace that causes us to reject the very people God is calling to his house of prayer? It is our own search for personal peace that causes us to be okay with injustice in our land? As long as it doesn’t touch me, or infringe on my rights I don’t say anything. But is that really what God has called us to? In Luke 9:23-25 Jesus challenged his disciples with these words:
If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?
Just a few verses later, when someone said, “I will follow you!” Jesus warned him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head” (Lk 9:58 ESV). Following Jesus is not about being comfortable and safe.

Jesus came for the unlovely. When we settle for personal peace and affluence over mission we are like the Jewish leaders in Isaiah, “‘Come,’ they say, ‘let me get wine; let us fill ourselves with strong drink; and tomorrow will be like this day, great beyond measure.’” We might not be saying, “Let us fill ourselves with strong drink,” but we do say, “Let us enjoy the day, and “tomorrow will be like this day, great beyond measure.” We are more interested in our own personal peace and affluence than in the work that God is about. What do you value today, unacceptable people, or your own personal peace, the mission of God or our own comfort and safety?

“If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” (Lk 9:23).

Comments