Sacrifice- 1 Corinthians 9:15-18


1 Corinthians 9:15-16 (ESV)
[15] But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting. [16] For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!
A central part of following Jesus that we seem to have forgotten is the idea of sacrifice. Jesus said, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me” (Mt 16:24). We like the verses that promise provision, blessing, and joy. The verses that promise difficulties, or challenge us to sacrifice often get forgotten or ignored.

We are quick to defend our rights. The United States of America was founded on the idea of “certain unalienable rights” (Declaration of Independence). Standing up for our rights, demanding our rights, and defending our rights is considered a virtue. But in the Kingdom of God we are called on to willingly give up our rights for the benefit of others. That is a hard pill for us to swallow.

In 1 Corinthians 9 1-14 the Apostle Paul effectively argues that he has a right to be supported financially in ministry. He should not have to be “working for a living” (1 Cor 9:6). Yet he willing gave up that right in order to not hinder the gospel. As believers we have no right to insist that our pastors and missionaries live like Paul did. But we do have a responsibility to take Paul’s example personally. That is why he gave it. He was trying to teach the Corinthian believers that following Christ means willingly giving up one’s rights for the sake of others. Willing sacrifice on behalf of others is a central part of following Christ. What would life look like if we actually practiced that?

Comments