Dealing with Trouble (Pt 5)


Psalms 23:4 begins, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.” In past blogs I wrote about the fact that we all walk through these valleys. It is inevitable, but there is value to the valley. God has a way of turning grief and pain into endurance, character, and hope that leaves us unashamed of Christ and looking longingly for his return. Because there is value in walking through the valley, we are called to “be patient in tribulation [troubles]” (Rom 12:12). But beyond acknowledging that the darkness has value, how do we face troubles with patience?

The last phrase quoted above from Ps 23 holds the secret. “For you are with me.” When Peter tried walking on water and found himself overcome with fear, Jesus was with him. He “reached out his hand and took hold of [Peter]” (Mt 14:31). When Jesus gave the disciples the great commission he ended it with these words, “Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Mt 28:20). Jesus taught his disciples that it was to their advantage that he go away, “for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you” (Jn 16:7). God promised in Hebrews 13:5-6 “‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So we can confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?’”

I wrote yesterday that we need to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus. We do that by remembering that he is not a distant God who we hope will ride in to deliver us at the last moment. He is a very present God who is here with us in the dark. No step is taken alone. In the midst of the chaos, in the anxiety of the current conditions in our world, he is right here.

If you have ever been deep in a cave you will know the sense of darkness so thick that you can touch it, darkness so murky you cannot see your hand at the tip of your own nose. Caves seem to have a way of eating light. The darkness feels overwhelming. Sometimes life feels like that, but we have the assurance that God is right there, holding us, guiding us, guarding us, and he can see through the darkness. Psalm 139:12 says of God, “even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.”

How can we be patient and at peace as we walk through the darkness of the shadowy valley of death? By knowing, by reminding ourselves, by believing that the God to whom even the darkness is not dark, that God is walking with us. He is there guiding us with his unseen hand, keeping us, guarding us, and leading us to the light. “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble” (Ps 46:1). Trust him.

Comments