Titus 2:1

Titus 2:1 (ESV)

But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.

 

The Apostle Paul instructed Titus, “Teach what accords with [is fitting to or appropriate to] sound doctrine” (Tit 2:1). That was written to Titus, but it certainly applies to us. We are challenged to live in a way that aligns with sound doctrine. Sound doctrine results in sound living. When we say that, we need to understand that this is not really about us. It is not about keeping the rules, or maintaining a strict “Biblical” protocol for life. Three times in these ten verses he says, “so that…” “So that the word of God may not be reviled” (Tit 2:5). “So that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us” (Tit 2:8). “So that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.” This is not about us.  It is about the gospel. It is about living a lifestyle consistent with sound doctrine so that…  It is about living counter-culturally in my world today so that my life impacts my world with the gospel.

We have a tendency to say, “I don’t care what people think of me. I am going to be me.” But that is the world’s thinking. Sammy Davis Jr. sang “I’ve gotta be me.” Those words didn’t come from the Bible. There is certainly truth in those words if we understand them to mean that we should not try to be someone other than who God created us to be. There is an inherent lie in them if we understand them to mean that we do what we do and give little thought to how our lives and actions affect others. God’s call to healthy, biblical living in Titus 2 is not for the purpose of keeping God happy. It is for the purpose of impacting our world with the Good News of Jesus Christ. Those two little words, “so that,” change everything. Am I living a life consistent with sound doctrine so that the world will see Jesus in me and be drawn to the Good News of Jesus Christ? Am I living counter-culturally so that my life impacts my world with the gospel?

 

 

Comments