Top Ten (Pt 2)

I started sharing the Top Ten Things Every Pastor Wished Their Congregation Knew, but Was Afraid to Tell Them. Here is number 9:

9. There is nothing I can do to make this church grow. God has to do it and we all need to be a part of the process. – 1 Cor 3.6,7; Col 2.19

In 1 Corinthians 3:6, 7 the Apostle Paul wrote, “I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.” As a pastor I work hard to prepare and preach and teach God’s Word. I work hard at connecting with people, visiting people, sharing the gospel with people. . .  I pray, dream, and think about church growth probably more than anyone else in this congregation, but I can’t make the church grow. So please keep this ministry in prayer, get involved, and let’s work together, trusting God to give the increase. Colossians 2:19 says that the whole body is “nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, [and] grows with a growth that is from God” as it is connected to the Head, which is God. Growth comes from being connected to the head. Growth comes from God. We function as a body. We need to be connected well to the head, and to one another, but ultimately growth comes from God. There is nothing I can do to make this church grow. God has to do it and we all need to be a part of the process.

Comments