Colossians 1 (Pt 1)

Colossians 1:3-5a (ESV)

[3] We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, [4] since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, [5] because of the hope laid up for you in heaven.

The faith and love of the Colossian Christ followers was rooted in the hope they had beyond this life. What an incredible thought that today, even as I write this, those believers from the Colossian church back in the First Century are alive and well in Heaven. It is incredible to think of them celebrating the entrance of our friends into Heaven even as we mourn their loss here on earth. 

Hope does not mean uncertainty. We often use it that way. We say, “I hope it will rain. We need it badly,” or, “I hope it doesn’t rain so that we can have our outdoor event.” Hope used in that way means uncertainty. That is not what hope means in the Bible. As Christians, hope means certain expectation and anticipation. Uncertainty is an antonym of hope, not a synonym. Certain expectation and anticipation is the synonymous meaning of hope. It was the certain expectation and anticipation of that which was laid up in Heaven that prompted faith and love in the lives of the Colossians.

Perhaps our lack of faith and love are the result of an earthly perspective. If this is all there is, then I want to hold on to everything I can. If this is all there is, then every accolade is important. If this is all there is, then anyone who hinders my efforts is rejected. But if our eyes are on Heaven, then I am able to let go of things here. They are only temporary at best. I can rejoice with those who receive accolades that I felt should be mineds. Trophies and titles are only temporary. I can love those who thwart my efforts, or who have a different vision than I do, because this is all temporary.

My hope is not here, but in Heaven. My sense of worth, my source of joy, my safety and security are not in temporal things that provide temporal benefit. My worth, and joy, and safety, my significance, satisfaction, and security are in not found here, but in Christ. Hope, biblical hope, prompts faith and love. In days of uncertainty and grief, may we keep our eyes on eternity because of the hope laid up for us in Heaven.

Comments