His purpose and grace - 2 Timothy 1:9

2 Timothy 1:9 (ESV)

who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

The truths in this verse are at the heart of the gospel and Christian ministry. He saved us and called us to a holy calling. We could spend a lot of time talking about that holy calling, but what I noticed this morning is the reason for his saving and calling us. It is “not because of our works.” I fear that while we agree that our salvation is not because of works, we then too often fall into a Christian life and ministry that is characterized by an assumption that God really loves us, really accepts us, really blessed us if we are obedient. We may talk about grace in our presentation of the gospel, but we try to live out a Christian life of works. Neither God’s salvation nor his holy calling is based on works. It is based on his purpose and his grace. Here is the fascinating revelation of these verses. That purpose and grace was given to us in Christ “before the ages began.” That’s a mind blower. Before I was born, before my grandparents were born, before America was a country, before Europe ever heard about Jesus, before Jesus was even born, before Abraham was born, before Adam was created, before God spun this world into existence by the power of his word, he gave me salvation and a holy calling by his own purpose and grace. Do I understand how this works? No. Am I preaching a particular brand of theology? No. I am simply amazed by the clear statement of this verse. He saved me and called me in Christ Jesus before the ages began by his purpose and grace not because of anything I have done. That’s enough to make me dance, and I don’t dance. Let me encourage you to spend some time today reflecting on this incredible truth.

Comments