God is here - 2 Timothy 4:1

2 Timothy 4:1 (ESV)

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:

“I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus . . .” That statement in itself is worth some serious consideration. Paul is writing Timothy. They are not in the same location. Jesus has ascended to the Father and is no longer walking the earth. I’ve heard people comforted by the thought that they are looking at the same moon at the same time as a loved one. That somehow connects them. But this is far more. Paul and Timothy both are in the very presence of God and of Christ Jesus. This speaks to the omnipresence of God. No matter where you go, he is there. It also speaks to the omnipresence of Jesus who has had a human body since his miraculous conception yet remains fully God and as such is omnipresent. Wherever you are, there are the Father and the Son. That alone is enough to charge Timothy to proclaim the Word. That truth motivates us to faithfulness. It also assures us that whatever we are facing, wherever we find ourselves, the Father and the Son are there. We do not walk through this alone. It is the assurance, comfort, and encouragement of Psalms 139. Verses seven and eight say,

Where shall I go from your Spirit?

Or where shall I flee from your presence?

If I ascend to heaven, you are there!

If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!

Wherever I am, whatever I am doing, God is there. For the unbeliever that is a terrifying idea. For the believer it is assurance, and comfort, and encouragement, for you are not alone.

Comments