Rescue - 2 Timothy 4:17-18

2 Timothy 4:17-18 (ESV)

But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Paul’s concept of rescue is eternal in perspective. He fully expects to die at the hands of his Roman captors (see verses 6-8), yet he talks of being rescued. His focus was not on being comfortable, but on knowing that the Gentiles heard the gospel. We cry out, “Where is God? Why doesn’t he rescue me?” But our focus is on being comfortable. Rescue means freeing me from this pain, this discomfort, this horrible experience, these people who are attacking me. For Paul rescue meant entering in the presence of God and it meant having the opportunity to present the gospel. It makes me wonder if a change in priority wouldn’t change our view of our own circumstances. What if our pain and our uncomfortable experiences were opportunities to demonstrate the power of God? What if they were opportunities to display characteristics of Christ like patience, kindness, gentleness, and peace? What if they were opportunities to bring about opportunities to share the gospel by causing people to ask how we can endure with hearts of gratitude and love? Maybe God is not rescuing us according to our version of rescue because he has a bigger rescue in mind. Maybe we need to learn to trust him in the dark days because he is always there working his purpose even when we cannot see him.

Comments