Titus 2:1 - Sound Teaching

Titus 2:1 (ESV)

But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.

Paul has just been warning about false teachers who are seeking attention and money from ministry. Titus, however, is to minister in an entirely different way. He is to teach, literally the word is to speak. Titus is to speak, or be speaking that which is consistent with sound, healthy doctrine, or teaching. The word sound actually means healthy. I take this to mean that whether Titus is teaching, preaching, or just conversing, he is to be speaking that which is consistent with healthy, biblical teaching. It makes me wonder about some things. First, of course is whether my preaching and teaching is consistently biblical. Second, however, it makes me wonder about whether my speaking when I’m talking politics is consistent with healthy, biblical teaching. Is my speech when I’m talking about sports, motorcycles, or hunting consistent with sound, biblical teaching. Is my speech consistent with sound, biblical teaching in the privacy of my home? The life of a minister, indeed the life of any believer should be consistent with sound, biblical teaching in all aspects. That is why Paul goes on to address what healthy teaching produces in the lives of old and young, men and women. Too often we compartmentalize our lives. Our behavior and our language changes with our setting. Today, may we as believers in Jesus Christ speak that which is consistent with healthy, biblical teaching no matter where we are or what we are doing. We represent Christ wherever we are.

Comments