Divisive People - Titus 3:10-11

Titus 3:10-11 (ESV)

[10] As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, [11] knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

The interesting thing about these verses is that the person who stirs up division is often not the person who thinks they are stirring up division. Forty years ago, our children were attending a Christian school. Due to some issues that I was hearing about, and which I can no longer remember, I called for a parents’ meeting to address the issue. What I neglected to do was go to the people involved first. In truth, I was the divisive one. Thankfully there was a good board that asked to meet with them. They challenged me on my actions and I realized my error. The point, however, is that even though I thought I was trying to fix a problem, I was only escalating it. When division occurs, one of the first questions we should ask ourselves is whether we are part of the problem. If we are, I pray that there will be faithful people who will challenge us and that we will listen with humility.


Comments