Honoring God - Malachi 2:2

Malachi 2:2 (ESV)

If you will not listen, if you will not take it to heart to give honor to my name, says the LORD of hosts, then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings. Indeed, I have already cursed them, because you do not lay it to heart.


This was written to the Israelite priests who serve under the Mosaic Covenant. The curse referred to is a covenant curse. The priests, in failing to take the honor of God seriously in their ministry, brought upon themselves a curse. As believers in Jesus Christ, we are all priests. We don’t bring burnt offerings to cover our sin. They are already washed clean through the blood of Jesus. But we are called to serve as priests by ministering to one another and representing God to the world. When we fail to do that, it may not bring about a covenant curse from the Law, but there are consequences.

The priests failed to honor God in their serving. It makes me wonder how God views our service. Do we serve for his honor or our good? Do we forgive because of the cross and to the honor of our God, or only when it is in our best interest? Does our worship honor him, or does it only make us feel good? Self-absorbed worship and service is not worship and service at all. Today may my life honor my Lord above all else.

Comments