Faithfulness - Malachi 2:17

Malachi 2:17 (ESV)

You have wearied the LORD with your words. But you say, “How have we wearied him?” By saying, “Everyone who does evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delights in them.” Or by asking, “Where is the God of justice?”

Our capacity for unfaithfulness seems almost limitless. We have a way of blaming God for the very offenses we ourselves are committing. The Jews were blaming God of unfaithfulness. From their perspective he was delighting in those doing evil, while ignoring the pleas of the Jews. What they failed to see was their own unfaithfulness. God was not responding to the Jews requests because they were not living up to their covenant with God. Yet they were back in the land with a rebuilt Jerusalem and a rebuilt temple because of God’s faithfulness in spite of their own unfaithfulness. I makes me wonder how often I have blamed God when in fact I was simply living with the consequences of my own bad decisions. How it must grieve God’s heart to see us blame him for our own unfaithfulness, and yet he continues to love us. For that I am eternally grateful.

Comments