Philippians 2:16 - Only Jesus

Philippians 2:16 (ESV)

holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.

Casting Crowns has a song called Only Jesus. The chorus and ending words of the song are, “I don’t want to leave a legacy. I don’t care if they remember me. Only Jesus.” When Paul writes, “that . . . I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain,” he is not speaking of leaving a legacy. He is not concerned with being remembered. What he is concerned with is that he did not pour out his life for no reason. There have been so many people that have spoken into my life over the years, so many preachers that have influenced my spiritual life. I don’t remember them all, but I am not the same because of them. It doesn’t matter whether you remember me. It doesn’t matter whether you even give me credit for something I said. What does matter is that you are closer to God and deeper in your faith because of the time I spent with you. That was Paul’s heart. What if we were less concerned with the legacy we leave behind, and more concerned that people see Jesus more clearly because of us? How might that change how we live? How might that change how we do ministry? How might that change even what makes us angry?

The word translated “proud” is a word that refers to boasting or glorying in. When the boasting is in self it is a negative thing, but when the boasting is in what God has done or is doing in and through us, it is a positive thing. Paul is not talking so much about being proud as we think of pride. He is saying that the thing that would cause him to leap up and down for joy is to see those to whom he has ministered walking in a manner worthy of the gospel (Ph’p 1:27). Only Jesus. That is what makes his imprisonment worth it.

Comments