Philippians 4:17 - Ministers and Money

Philippians 4:17

I don't say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness.

I am a missionary. I have served in missionary roles several times throughout my ministry. I also teach missionaries regularly. One of the significant parts of serving as a missionary is support raising. It is also the hardest and most intimidating part of the ministry. No self-respecting missionary wants to beg for money. No one I know in the ministry wants to think about money, let alone let it become our focus. Yet it is a necessary part of life and ministry. That is nothing new.

The Apostle Paul’s ministry was sometimes funded by tentmaking, but largely dependent on the gifts of others. His perspective, however, was not for his own comfort. He had learned to live with much and with little. His life was not focused on the money, but on the ministry. I know a few big name ministries that appear to be more interested in money than in ministry. I only know them by what I read, so I want to be careful in my judgment. What I do know is that although pastors and missionaries are often accused of being in it for the money, I’ve never met one yet of whom that were true. The consensus of those I know in ministry is that if you are in ministry for the money, you chose the wrong profession. These hard-working pastors and missionaries are in ministry solely because they sensed God’s call to ministry and because they have a heart for God and for those whom they serve. Many serve sacrificially while living in poverty themselves.

That is expressed well in Paul’s letter to the Philippians, “I don't say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness” (Ph’p 4:17). If you know a missionary or a pastor, consider supporting them. Your financial support results in ministry done all over the world and carries God’s promise of provision for you. I’m not talking about the health and wealth promises of television preachers, but Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit did write, “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus” (Ph’p 4:19).

Comments