Colossians 3:5-11

Colossians 3:5 (ESV)

[5] Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

There are two lists in verses 5-11. The first list is to be put to death. The second list is to be put away. The first list is moral. The second list is relational. There are 4 truths about these lists that are important.

  1. These describe what it looks like to walk in the life we had before Christ.

  2. These things cause God's wrath to come against those who live in them.

  3. We no longer live in them (that old man has been put away and the new man is being renewed) therefore we should stop walking in them.

  4. We are no longer identified by externals like our station in life, our background, or what we do. We are now identified by Christ. He is all and in all.

God is not calling people to clean their lives up. Rather, he is calling them to walk in accordance with who they are in Christ and to treat others as who they are in Christ. The motivation to holiness is the truth that in Christ we are holy.

 

Father, thank you! When I look in the mirror it is so easy for me to forget that I am holy. When I look around it is so easy to forget that my brother is holy. Remind me often. May my life reflect Jesus today.

 

By His grace,

Rick Weinert

Comments