Matthew 7:9-11 - Trusting God

Matthew 7:9-11 (ESV)

[9] Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? [10] Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? [11] If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

This follows the instruction to ask, seek, and knock. But notice that ultimately this is about trusting God. When life doesn’t make sense, do you trust him? When you can’t see the answer, do you trust him? When the pain is unbearable, do you trust him? I trusted my mother to inflict great pain on me every time I skinned my knee by using mercurochrome on the wound when I was a boy. It stung like crazy and I hated it, but I trusted her. I complained, I cried, I griped, and I gritted my teeth, but I trusted her. If we could trust our parents to do that which they believed was in our best interest, then why do we have so much trouble trusting our omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, loving Father to do the same? “If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!”

Comments